Blessed Trinity School opened in January 1927 with grades one through eight. The school was originally staffed by the Sisters of Mercy from Louisville, Kentucky.
In September 1933 Trinity Academy was re-staffed by the Sisters of Saint Benedict from San Antonio, Florida. The school was located on Fort King Street. The second floor was used as a convent until a new convent was built in 1960. In February 1961, a facility was completed at 5 SE 17th Street (about a mile from the original school), and the student body moved into the new location. It was sited on a rolling hill in the residential area of Ocala. The building housed nine classrooms on the lower level and the Church on the upper level. The Church was later moved to its own building and the upper floor became the parish hall.
In 1974 the school employed its first lay principal, Mr. Jim Shaw. He was principal for eleven years and was followed by Ms. Miriam Kerrigan, who served for two years. The number of Benedictines teaching at the school gradually decreased. In 1976 there was an expansion program that converted some of the upper floor into a school library, Montessori classroom, teacher’s lounge and extra bathroom facilities. In 1987 enrollment began increasing, so an additional first grade was added and the Blessed Trinity Angels-In-Arms Day Care and Pre-School was opened to serve young children from birth through four years old.
The school expanded again in 1989, under the direction of principal Fran Harwas and pastor, Fr. Pat Sheedy. Nine classrooms were made out of the space the Parish Hall had occupied to help serve the increasing enrollment of 250 students. Continuing enrollment increases in the early 1990’s led to another expansion project. A Middle School building comprised of eight classrooms, a science lab, fine arts room and multi-purpose gymnasium was constructed on the south end of the property facing 17th Street.
In 1993, Blessed Trinity Parish embarked on the Stewardship way of life. As part of the sharing of time, talent, and treasure by all parishioners, all families of the parish who are involved in Stewardship/tithing are entitled to participate in all the ministries offered by parish, including the school, at no cost.
With enrollment continuing to increase to well past 500, a Primary Center was added in 1999. This building has ten classrooms for Kindergarten, first, and second grades.
Currently Blessed Trinity School has a student enrollment of over 600 students and a faculty and staff of over 70 dedicated men and women.